Trade up to a new career!
The Pre-Apprentice in Cook program is open to all learners and has been designed to provide entry-level skills required to start your career as a new apprentice.
A Cook prepares a wide range of foods for public consumption in various settings such as restaurants or hotels and can be for small groups, large groups, or individual dishes.
This 30-week program is designed to prepare students for entry into the workforce as an Assistant Cook (or related trade). To ensure students are career-ready; a mix of theory and hands-on practical learning activities are scheduled each week for approximately 30 hours. Pre-apprentices will complete a variety of skill-building courses followed by an eight-week paid work placement (320 hours).
This program will be a blend of in-person and online classes. Access to a computer and the internet will be required.
This program has been made possible with the support of the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development
Additional program benefits to eligible applicants include:
- Small classes
- 8 week paid work placement
- Books and supplies are included
- Students will be provided uniforms and knife kits
- OSSD or equivalent
- Be a resident and able to work in Ontario
- Proof of Social Insurance Number and photo identification (required by class start)
- Must review “What is a Pre-Apprentice”
- Must view the Campus Virtual Tour
- Institutional Cook
- Cook Assistant
- Skills for Success (Academic Upgrading)
- Trades Exploration and Career Progression
- Workplace Health & Safety
- Cultural Awareness
- Employment Readiness
- Introduction to Secondary Trade: Industrial Cook
- Work Placement (requires successful completion of all in-class courses)
- Cook Level 1 (reportable subjects mandated by Skilled Trades Ontario)
- Workplace and Food Safe Practices
- Basic Nutrition
- Culinary Business Practices - Math
- Culinary Business Practices - Computers
- Food Theory Basics
- Culinary Techniques - Basic
- Bake Theory
- Baking Techniques - Basic
411 Elgin St.
Brantford, ON N3S 7P5
519-445-0023 ext. 6226
Six Nations Polytechnic
Covid may cause rescheduling
30 weeks, full-time day deliver
Next Program Intake
Upon successful completion, students will receive a Program Certificate in Pre-Apprentice Cook