Progress from a Personal Support Worker (PSW) certificate to a nursing diploma and the professional designation of a Registered Practical Nurse upon completion of the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) Exam.
- Bridging stream for certificate-prepared Personal Support Worker students at an accredited community college within the last 10 years.
- Integrate into the second semester of the full-time Practical Nursing program after one semester.
- Collaborative learning environment where you and your peers will experience simulated and real-life opportunities in state-of-the-art labs.
- Online theory classes to support study-life balance.
What you'll learn
- Interact with faculty members who provide structure and act as facilitators through consultation, assisting with group collaborative activities and providing feedback.
- Acquire the professional knowledge, skills, accountability and responsibility for nursing practice through a curriculum that is grounded in the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) RPN Entry-to-Practice Competencies.
2023 - 2024 Domestic Tuition and Fees
1st Year Fees Total $2,876.71 * Based on 2023/2024 Domestic Tuition and Fees
- Biology for Personal Support Worker to Practical Nursing Bridge (BIOL10043)
- Chemistry for Nursing (CHEM10055)
- Essential Communication Skills for Nursing (COMM10400)
- Math for Nursing (MATH10095)
- Professional Development 1 (NRSG10065)
- PN Structure and Function of the Human Body (NRSG10159)
- Health, Healing and the Nursing Process Bridge (NRSG10167)
- NRSG Foundational Theory and Practice (NRSG10169)
Professional Practice Placements
Critical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. Students should expect to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending clinical placements in our catchment area which includes Hamilton, Brantford, Halton, Niagara, Norfolk, Haldimand, Dunnville, Peel, Wellington, and surrounding areas.
Placements are assigned using randomization software based on placement options and students indicating preferences. Unfortunately, not everyone gets placed where they want as it is not logistically possible. We do not move students after the randomization process has been completed.
Students are responsible for their own travel and costs to clinical placements.
Students who are successful in all semester 1 courses will move into the second semester of Practical Nursing (715)
Equal Consideration Winter: June 1
- This is a limited enrolment program. Possession of the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the program.
Applicants are required to:
- Apply through Ontario Colleges to program number 758 Practical Nursing (PSW to PN Bridging Stream).
- Submit proof of completion of the following courses:
- Grade 12 English C or U
- Grade 10 Mathematics, D or P
- Submit proof of completion of a Personal Support Worker Certificate program from an Ontario community college or a publicly funded college with an equivalent program from within another Canadian province within the past 10 years.
Proof of English proficiency for applicants where English is not their first language must be submitted to Ontario Colleges.
Successful completion of Professional Practice
Professional Practice is an academic requirement across all semesters of the Practical Nursing program. Successful completion of Professional Practice clinical placement is a requirement for graduation from the Practical Nursing program. Agencies that provide placement opportunities require you to have a clear Police Records Check for Service with the Vulnerable Sector (PRCSVS). As such, to be eligible for placement, you must submit proof of a clear PRCSVS, which will be retained on your departmental file and used only for purposes related to your placement.
If you register in the program without a clear PRCSVS, and, as a result, are unable to participate in placement, you will not be able to progress in the program. A clear PRCVS is required at a minimum annually, and more often if requested by the placement agencies.
- Clear PRCVS, completed within the last 6 months and valid for the full upcoming semester
- Immunizations - Tdap, Varicella, Hep B, MMR
- Tuberculin Skin Test
- Flu Vaccine
- COVID-19 Vaccines
- Standard First Aid & CPR-Level BLS/HCP
- Mask Fit
- WSIB Consent Links
- Fire Safety
- Workplace Violence and Workplace Harassment
- Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps - Bill 18
- Student Consent and Waiver for Clinical Placements
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
To be eligible for field/clinical placement, you must not have been convicted of any offence for which you have not been pardoned.