Trade up to a new career!
The Pre-Apprentice in Welding program is open to all learners and has been designed to provide entry-level skills required to start your career as a new apprentice.
Welders are employed in various industries ranging from manufacturing, shipbuilding, to aerospace! A welder permanently joins pieces of metal or manufactured parts using metal filler and heat and/or pressure; builds structures and repairs broken or cracked parts according to specifications; and carries out special processes, such as welding studs and brazing.
This 30-week program is designed to prepare students for entry into the workforce as a welder (or related trade). To ensure students are career-ready; a mix of theory and hands-on practical learning activities are scheduled each week for approximately 30 hours. Pre-apprentices will complete a variety of skill-building courses followed by an eight-week paid work placement (320 hours).
This program will be a blend of in-person and online classes. Access to a computer and the internet will be required.
This program has been made possible with the support of the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development
Additional program benefits to eligible applicants include:
- Small classes
- 8 week paid work placement
- Students that complete in-class training will receive a toolkit for work placement
- OSSD or equivalent
- Be a resident and able to work in Ontario
- Proof of Social Insurance Number and photo identification (required by class start)
- Must review “What is a Pre-Apprentice”
- Must view the Virtual Welding Tour
- Welder Apprentice
- Welder Helper
- Production Welding
- Welding Fitter
- Employment Readiness
- Skills for Success (Academic Upgrading)
- Trades Exploration and Career Progression
- Workplace Health & Safety
- Cultural Awareness
- Introduction to Secondary Trade: Metal Fabrication
- Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) Testing in:
- SMAW 1GF
- GMAW 1 GF
- FCAW/MCAW 1GF
- Welder Level 1 (reportable subjects mandated by Skilled Trades Ontario)
- Trade Practices
- Applied Drawing Interpretation
- Welding Theory
- Materials and Processes Quality 1
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) Practical
- Gas Shielded Semi-Automatic Welding Practical 1
- Thermal Cutting
- Work Placement (requires successful completion of all in-class courses)
411 Elgin St.
Brantford, ON N3S 7P5
Six Nations Polytechnic
30 weeks, full-time day delivery
Covid may cause rescheduling
Next Program Intake
Intake 1: April 19, 2022
Intake 2: September 6, 2022
Upon successful completion, students will receive a Program Certificate in Pre-Apprentice Welding