Trade up to a new career!
The Pre-Apprentice in General Machinist program is open to all learners and has been designed to provide entry-level skills required to start your career as a new apprentice.
A general machinist cuts, shapes and finishes metal to make precision machined parts and components used in all areas of manufacturing.
This 29-week program is designed to prepare students for entry into the workforce as a general machinist (or related trade). To ensure students are career-ready; a mix of theory and hands-on practical learning activities are scheduled each week for approximately 30 hours. Pre-apprentices will complete a variety of skill-building courses followed by an eight-week paid work placement (320 hours).
This program will be a blend of in-person and online classes. Access to a computer and the internet will be required.
This program has been made possible with the support of the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
Additional program benefits to eligible applicants include:
- Small classes
- 8 week paid work placement
- Books and supplies are included
- Students who complete in-class courses will receive a tool kit for work placement
- OSSD or equivalent
- Be a resident and able to work in Ontario
- Proof of Social Insurance Number and photo identification (required by class start)
- Must review “What is a Pre-Apprentice”
- Must view the Campus Virtual Tour
Graduates may choose employment or apprenticeship in fields such as:
- General Machinist
- Tool and Die
- Mould Maker
- Pattern Maker
- Tool/Tooling Maker
- Skills for Success (Academic Upgrading)
- Trades Exploration and Career Progression
- Workplace Health & Safety
- Cultural Awareness
- Employment Readiness
- Introduction to Secondary Trades: Tool & Die and Mould Maker
- Work Placement (requires successful completion of all in-class courses)
- Machinist Level 1 (reportable subjects mandated by Skilled Trades Ontario)
- Benchworking Techniques
- Metal Cutting Saw Technology
- Drilling Technology
- Turning Technology
- Surface Grinding Technology
- Applied Trades Calculations, Charts and Tables
- Metrology (Measuring and Checking)
- Applied Trades Safety Practices
- Engineered Drawings/CAD Data/Layout Processes
Six Nations Polytechnic
29 weeks, full-time day delivery
Covid may cause rescheduling
Next Program Intake
September 6, 2022
Upon successful completion, students will receive a Program Certificate in Pre-Apprentice General Machinist.