Financial Support Information
Pre-Apprentice & We are Welder Supports
The Skilled Trades Unit will advise applicants during the admission process on participants supports. Eligible students may receive stipends to address barriers and support program completion.
There are many provincial and federal supports for apprentices, including:
- Up to $4,000 in interest-free federal loans for training in a Red Seal trade
- Up to $6,000 in federal grants if you’re out of high school and training in a Red Seal trade
- Income support through federal employment insurance to help with full-time technical training costs
- $2,000 once you finish your apprenticeship
A new, non-repayable tools grant is available for apprentices as of August 2020. As an apprentice, this grant will help you pay for tools and equipment for your trade.
The amount of the grant depends on the type of trade you’re apprenticing in. The grant amounts are as follows:
- $1,000 for motive power trades
- $600 for construction trades
- $600 for industrial trades
- $400 for service trades
To qualify for the grant, you must have:
- Completed, or been exempted from, level one in-class training, on or after April 1, 2020
- A registered training agreement
- Been registered as an apprentice for at least 12 months
How to Apply
The Ministry will send an email with an application link to all apprentices who are eligible to apply for this provincial grant. You can also apply online if you believe you qualify for the grant. For any questions about the tools grant, contact Employment Ontario.
The information on this page was sourced from https://www.ontario.ca/page/start-apprenticeship
Awards and Bursaries
Eligible Program: We are Welders – Women’s Program
Donor: GrandBridge Energy Inc.
GrandBridge Energy Inc. is the eighth largest municipally owned electricity distributor in Ontario. GrandBridge Energy delivers safe and reliable electricity to 111,000 customers in the City of Brantford, the City of Cambridge, the Township of North Dumfries and the County of Brant. GrandBridge Energy is guided by a vision to be a leader in energy transformation and driven by a mission to bridge communities to the energy future.
GrandBridge Energy has generously donated a $2,000 bursary for the We are Welders – Women’s Program and is available for up to 4 selected students ($500 each). The funds awarded will provide financial support to students as they complete in-class training and begin work placement. The criterion for eligibility includes:
- Required to attend the Job Placement Workshops.
- Applicants apply and state their need for assistance.
- Applicant must secure a work placement.
SNP Office of the Registrar will email applications to students in the program in January 2024. The students who are successful will be notified in early February 2024.