A collaborative learning environment where you and your peers will experience simulated and real-life opportunities in state-of-the-art classrooms and labs.
The Practical Nursing Program at Mohawk College is currently approved (Category 1) by the College of Nurses of Ontario. Current graduates from this program are eligible to apply for registration as a Registered Practical Nurse in Ontario.
- Computers in Nursing
- Anatomy Physiology
- Practicum 1 Lab
- Professional Development 1
- Health and Healing 1
- Foundations in Nursing
Options Group(1) Select 1
- Communication D
- Health Sciences 2
- Health and Healing 2
- Practicum 2 Lab
- Developmental Psychology
- Professional Practice 2
- Health Sciences 3
- Practicum 3 Lab
- Health and Healing 3
- General Education Elective 1
- Introductory Sociology
- Professional Practice 3
- Practicum 4 Lab
- Health and Healing 4
- Professional Development 4
- Professional Practice Pre-Graduate Experience
- Service Learning and Simulation
Note: This is a limited enrolment program. Possession of the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the program.
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 11 or 12 Mathematics, C, M or U level (M or U recommended)
- 2 Grade 11 or 12 Sciences, C or U level in biology, chemistry, or physics
- 85% - 88% cumulative recommended average in the required courses to be competitive.
- Good working knowledge of computers including Microsoft Office applications recommended.
- An English language proficiency test may be required.
- All applicants to this program must complete a mandatory standardized Health Occupation Aptitude Examination (HOAE) as part of the selection process. There is a fee of $50.00 for this test.
- Effective January 2005, the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) requires all applicants for registration or reinstatement from within Canada to provide a recent Police Criminal Record Check (PCRC) as part of the registration process.
- Offers of admission to this highly competitive program will be made based on a combination of HOAE test results (50%) and ranking of academic history (50%)
- Options are available for mature applicants.
.Registered Practical Nurse,
- Hospitals, Physicians’ Offices, Retirement Homes, Community Agencies, Nursing Homes and Long-Term Care Homes
- Research and Policy, Occupational Health
- Business and Industry: Corrections/Forensics, Laser and Cosmetic Clinics, Sales Representative for Health Care Products
- Independent practice: Foot Care, Private Duty Nurse